Digital Media Marketing and Editorial Internship
Deadline to apply: June 1, 2019
Culturally Modified is an online journal publishing multi-media content about culture and cultural resource management. We see ourselves as more than just a publication: We are a small but enthusiastic team and strive to create an online destination where individuals who are passionate about culture can gather and find community.
We are looking for someone who is interested in expanding their knowledge of culture and media through assisting with reporting, editing, social media, fundraising and marketing. Over the course of the 16-week internship, the intern will produce a piece of in-depth journalism, assist with editing content for our online magazine, regularly post to social media and assist in strategizing and implementing marketing and outreach initiatives.
The right candidate will be comfortable conducting independent research, such as reaching out to experts for interviews; will be able to work independently on producing an in-depth piece of journalism; will have excellent writing and grammar skills; will have an engaging tone on social media; and will have the ability to brainstorm creative marketing, fundraising and outreach campaigns with our team.
Our ideal candidate will be passionate about culture, media and our publication. Reliability is a must.
This job is based out of our office in Smithers, B.C.
- Working with the editor to define a story idea and research, write and edit an in-depth piece or series for publication in Culturally Modified.
- Assist editor in defining the story list, reviewing submissions and assisting with copy editing.
- Assist with general writing, editing and proofing duties, as required.
- Write and schedule posts for social media and respond to reader comments.
- Work with team to develop and implement marketing strategies and campaigns.
- Other tasks as assigned or depending on skillset and interests.
- Must be a post-secondary student or have graduated within the last three years from journalism, professional writing, publishing, communications or a comparable program in an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Must have excellent grammar and English language skills.
- Must be passionate about media and culture, and keen to learn more about both.
- Must have knowledge of social media and be able to engage our audience through thoughtful posts and campaigns.
- Must have a passion for our magazine’s content and mission.
- Must be able to commit to the total internship period.
- Must not have been hired under the Magazine Association of BC’s internship subsidy program previously.
Accountability: The intern will report to Culturally Modified editor Amanda Follett Hosgood. In addition, publisher Rick Budhwa will provide mentorship and additional supervision.
Benefits: By assisting the editor in day-to-day duties, this role will provide mentorship in all aspects of writing, editing and marketing an online publication. The intern will have a hand in defining the story lineup, story generation and assignment, working with contributors to edit and refine a piece until it’s ready for publication and crafting their own piece of well-researched journalism. There will also be an emphasis on all aspects of marketing an online publication and the evolving nature of media in the digital era.
Time commitment: This is a part-time (21 hours/week, 16 weeks) position beginning June 12, 2019 and ending Sept. 27, 2019. Returning students may finish their internship remotely.
To apply, please send a writing sample and resume to editor Amanda Follett Hosgood at firstname.lastname@example.org with Internship Application Summer 2019 in the subject line by June 1, 2019.
Download posting here: Culturally_Modified_Internship_Posting